Review // Urban Decay Mariposa Palette

15:57




Urban Decay's Mariposa palette has had a prime position in my make-up routine for many months now - ever since I received it as a birthday gift last May. Having used it - and enjoyed it - for so long, I thought it was about time it got a little mention on this blog!

The Mariposa palette is not one of UD's most famous palettes - it was released in 2011 as a limited edition palette, with a variety of different shades, including everyday browns, smokey greys and a couple of pops of colour.

There are no matte shades in this palette - they're all rather glittery and shimmery, which means quite a bit of fall out. However, they apply beautifully, stay on for ages without creasing and are wonderfully pigmented. You can't possibly complain!



The shades are as follows: Rockstar, a dark, shimmery purple, Gunmetal, a fantastically dark grey which is brilliant for smokey eyes, Skimp, a pale peachy nude which I like to use for inner eye corners and highlighting, Infamous, a bold purpley-pink, Wreckage, a shimmery brown, Haight, a bright blue (one I haven't been brave enough to try yet..), Money, a light silvery grey, Mushroom, a cool brownish-grey, Spotlight, a light brown and finally, Limelight, a beautiful warm gold.

L-R: Rockstar, Gunmetal, Skimp, Infamous, Wreckage, Haight, Money, Mushroom, Spotlight, Limelight
Note: these are incredibly light swatches!
The colours I use the most are definitely Skimp, Wreckage, Gunmetal, Spotlight and Mushroom. I love using Limelight and Money too; however, I haven't used Infamous, Haight or Rockstar very much yet.. I'm not very brave when it comes to eye make-up - a dramatic smokey eye is about as adventurous as it gets! I might look up some different eye make-up looks using those bright colours soon, and maybe step out of my eye make-up comfort zone... maybe!

Skimp is probably my favourite, and the most versatile - I use it for the inner corners of my eyes to highlight them and make me look more awake, or all over the lid with winged eyeliner and red lips for a Marilyn Monroe-esque look, or even just for highlighting my brow bone. I like using Wreckage, Spotlight and Mushroom for brown smokey eyes - or even with my Maybelline Colour Tattoo in On and On Bronze (take a look here).

The packaging is rather good - the case shown in the first picture is tin and the lid swings open. Missing from the pictures, of course, is a purple box that the case slots in to. It's small and convenient enough to fit in a makeup bag, so you can easily bring it with you when travelling.

I really love this palette - I love and use the majority of the colours regularly, and hopefully I'll venture into the world of brights soon! I love that they're such good quality, and so wonderfully pigmented. The only possible downside to this palette is the lack of matte shades - my eye make-up collection, in fact, is distinctly lacking in matte shades. Which might justify purchasing the Naked Basics palette by Urban Decay...

I'm not 100% sure of the availability of this palette, because it's apparently limited edition. My friend did buy it for me last May, so perhaps it's not as 'limited' as suggested. If you can get your hands on this palette, and like the look of any of the shades, I strongly suggest you give it a go!

You Might Also Like

Medium @ciarapocket

Bloglovin'

Follow