Review // Barry M Flawless Matte Finish Foundation

17:07



Barry M are highly renowned for their nail polishes. I, personally, am a super fan of their classic nail paints, the Gelly Hi-Shine polishes and their ability to always be ahead of the curve when it comes to trends.

So when they launched their new Flawless Matte foundation, I, like many other Barry M lovers, was incredibly curious. Considering my temperamental oily / normal combination skin, anything that promised a ‘flawless matte finish’ was bound to grab my attention. So, of course, I just had to go out and buy it, didn’t I!

First impressions first: the packaging is nothing to write home about. I suppose it’s a bit like Benefit’s Hello Flawless Oxygen Wow! foundation, although Barry M chose a fluorescent pink for their font, and the little bottle is plastic. Nothing too fancy, but then again, it’s not expensive either. There is a pump, hallelujah! Having to pour out foundations is a pain in the neck, so a pump is always a bonus. Because it’s plastic, it doesn’t feel expensive either; I think there’s something a little more special about foundations packaged in glass, like Bourjois Healthy Mix or even Rimmel Wake Me Up. 

When I first swatched this in Superdrug, I was immediately impressed. The foundation felt really light and made my skin look flawless! I was instantly sold.

However, after using it multiple times over the last few weeks, my opinion has somewhat changed. First of all, the formula of this foundation is a strange one. It's not as 'super blendable' as it claims to be - I tried applying this in with a Real Techniques Buffing Brush, and it just didn't work so I don't use a brush at all when applying. Also: it's important to moisturise before using this foundation because it will show up dry patches (being matte, this was expected but it has showed dry patches I didn't even know existed!).


There are a couple of pros: this foundation does stay matte, when applied with a light dusting of powder over the top (better safe than sorry, right?). I've found that when I apply this in the morning and check it again hours later, it's still matte, which is great. Also, Ivory is a near perfect match for my skin tone.
The coverage isn't anything wonderful; it's light to medium but I wouldn't say it's very buildable, as it's so hard to work with. I use this on very good skin days, and apply concealer over the top - if you use concealer underneath, chances are the foundation may go a bit cakey.

Overall, I'm not as impressed with this foundation as I thought it would be. It's okay - I think its highlights are probably the matte finish and the price. I probably won't repurchase this foundation when it runs out. For now, I'll use it on really good skin days but I have to say, I'm disappointed. I'll think I'll stick to buying your nail polishes, Barry M.

Have you tried this foundation? What are your thoughts?

Ciara xxx

You Might Also Like

Medium @ciarapocket

Bloglovin'

Follow