The Edit: Fake Tan

14:22

Fake tan is quite a big deal for us eternally pale Irish girls. For most of the year (if not all), if we want that much sought after sunkissed effect, we'll find it packaged and sitting on a shelf in Boots, waiting to be applied. Not a hope of a bit of sunshine!

While I can't teach tanning application, I can share my knowledge and experiences with the various tanning products I've tried, and tell ye which are yays and which are nays. 

In the lineup today we've got: 

1. L'Oréal Sublime Bronze Self Tanning Gel
2. Rimmel Sun Shimmer Instant Tan
3. Sally Hansen Airbrush Legs Leg Makeup
4. Johnson's Holiday Skin Body Lotion

1. L'Oréal Sublime Bronze Self-Tanning Gel


This is in the form of a dark, shimmery gel (I use Medium). Don't let the shimmer put you off - this is simply for an "illuminating effect". The smell is none too pleasant, but such is the way with fake tans! I would recommend using a tanning mitt with this one. It doesn't take long to develop, and does give a nice, natural looking tan when applied evenly. It lasts well and doesn't turn out streaky. The gel itself is tinted so whilst applying, you can see where on your body you have applied, and where you haven't. It probably would be my pick for gradual tanning.
*Note: the packaging has since changed, but the name stays the same.
Price: €17.89 for 150ml, in Boots. Definitely not the cheapest tan around, €17 is quite pricey, despite it being a good product.
Rating: 4/5 - the price is the only off putting factor!


2. Rimmel Sun Shimmer Instant Tan

Again, not a particularly nice smell, Sun Shimmer promises a 'healthy bronze glow' - I use the second shade, Light. It also promises a matte finish, which is something I've never considered a tan having before. Anyway, my thoughts? This is my least favourite out of the bunch. I bought it when it was on offer ages ago in Tesco, as a last resort, and I'll not be buying it again. It is instant, so there's no developing time required. However, it appears streaky and patchy at best, and any contact with water means it will just disappear. Not happy!
I have heard of others liking / loving this tan, so perhaps this is just me? If you've tried this, and liked
Price: €3.95 in Boots - you get what you pay for, I suppose. Although I wouldn't personally recommend it, it'll not break the bank if you want to give it a go! Different people have different preferences, of course, but I can safely say this is not the tan for me.
Rating: 1/5


3. Sally Hansen Airbrush Legs

Out of all four of these products, this is hands down my favourite. Although it's marketed as 'leg makeup', it can be used on arms too. I apply this with a tanning mitt and it always gives a smooth, sunkissed look to my skin. Sally Hansen's offering would definitely be my go-to for an instant tan. It's water resistant too, and lasts well. This isn't very strongly scented at all, which gives more reason to love it.
Price: €13.95 in Boots; not cheap, really, but again, you get what you pay for. I have seen this in Penney's / Primark for under the ten euro mark, so shopping around may save you some pennies!
Rating: 5/5


4. Johnson's Holiday Skin Body Lotion

Although it claims to be a 'body lotion', Holiday Skin is, in fact, a gradual tan. This takes the longest out of them all to develop - apply this every evening and you should have a natural looking tan within 3 - 4 days. You must use it daily to maintain the tan, of course. This has a slightly sweet, summery fragrance which may appeal to some. I find it quite bearable, out of all the fake tan smells. Another bonus: this claims to also moisturise the skin, which is probably why it's marketed as a body lotion. If added skincare benefits are something you're after, give this a whirl! It doesn't appear streaky, if you're careful and even with your application, which can be tricky.
Price: €5.89 in Boots, for 250ml - a good price, I'd say, for the biggest volume of product out of all four of these. I actually thought this would have been more, when researching it. Again, although it's not instant, and does take more time, the results are satisfying.
Rating: 4/5

Are you a fake tan fan? Tried any of these / any to recommend? xo

You Might Also Like

Medium @ciarapocket

Bloglovin'

Follow