Finding The Perfect Red Lip

12:54


Much like the 'my lips but better' nude, finding the perfect red lip product is a struggle. I've been through quite a few and made a few discoveries: blue toned reds are not for me. Blue tends to bring out the white in everything, and for some reason, it just washes me out. On others, it looks perfect and a blue toned red can give you a brilliant white smile. Those brilliant true-reds aren't really for me either. I don't think I'm a big fan of bold red super glossy lips, I feel they look a bit too much on me.

So what's the right red for me then? Personally, I think plum / berry toned reds are my calling. I know they can look quite autumn / wintery and I'm not sure how I'll work them into my spring/summer looks this year, but hey-ho. You can't have everything.
I searched through my makeup stash and found a handful of berry red lippies that I wear quite a bit and really love. I think my natural lips are quite dark as is, for some reason, and that's probably why I love these berry red beauties so much. (Could also be why I've yet to find the perfect nude!)

Anyway, enough rambling. I love me some red lip products, we've established that. So what exactly are my favourites? First up is a Rimmel Kate Lasting Finish Matte lipstick in 107. This was quite popular among bloggers last autumn, and I picked it up initially on seeing Zoella wear it quite a bit. It's probably my favourite out of this bunch - it's simply a gorgeous dark berry red, and can give quite a vampy effect. It can be a tad drying, being a matte lipstick, but it does last quite well. The only off putting thing would be the fake almost trying-to-be-fruity-but-failing-miserably scent. Why, Rimmel, why?!

Next up is another Rimmel offering - this time it's an Apocalips Lip Lacquer in the shade Eclipse (I think - the writing's worn off from spending many a night in a clutch bag in a nightclub, oops..). The staying power of this one is amazing - slick it on, let it dry and it'll stay for hours and hours. I love it. It's got a lovely glossy finish to it. It's quite similar in shade to 107, and if I'd known that I probably wouldn't have bought it, but I'm so glad I did! I love the Apocalips formula, I just wish they had more Ciara-appropriate shades in the range...

Finally, a little gem I've been talking about quite a bit over the last month. It's this Revlon Colorburst Matte Balm in 225 Sultry. This does look quite plum/brownish in the bullet, but when I apply it, it goes more berry red on my lips. I love this lip crayon - it smells gorgeous and minty, last for ages and is super pigmented. It's a little lighter and more day appropriate than 107 (although I have been known to break that beauty out the odd morning). It's slightly more expensive than the Rimmel duo above, but hey. It's worth it!


Rimmel Kate 107 // Rimmel Apocalips Eclipse // Revlon Matte Balm Sultry
What's your perfect red lip product? Like any of these? xo

You Might Also Like

Medium @ciarapocket

Bloglovin'

Follow