Review: Rimmel Wake Me Up Foundation

11:03


The first time I tried the famous Rimmel Wake Me Up foundation was last summer, after binge-watching Zoella videos and seeing her rave about it. I bought in the shade 200 Soft Beige, because last summer was a glorious one and I was that bit more tanned. At the time I thought it was great, loved it, couldn't get enough, etc etc, but then I repurchased it last September / October, to wear it as an everyday foundation, and things changed...

Rimmel Wake Me Up promises a lot of wonderful things - an anti-fatigue effect, a radiant glow, SPF 15 (making it a great daytime foundation), and a natural looking finish. When I bought it the second time around, I chose the lightest shade, 100 Ivory, and the first thing I noticed was that it didn't match my skin tone - it was ever so slightly too dark. The second thing was the smell. Now, Rimmel have a tendancy to scent their products quite heavily - from powders and foundations to lipsticks and glosses. The funny thing is, when I first got this, I thought it smelled great. Loved it. The second time around, I couldn't believe I went around for so long with this on my face! I can't stand it - neither can I describe it, funnily enough. It's just... eugh, too overpowering.



It's a difficult foundation to apply with a brush - I usually use a Real Techniques Buffing brush, but with this one, you're better off applying it without. I have to say, the anti-fatigue and radiant glow claims are quite true, so it certainly 'wakes you up'. It does have a slight shimmer to it, but I don't think it translates onto the skin, once it's buffed in enough, so no need to worry about the dreaded disco ball effect. It has a light to medium coverage, although I'm not quite sure if it's very buildable - considering it didn't suit my skin tone as it was. The packaging is quite cool - a sleek glass bottle with a bright orange lid. I think Rimmel have a thing for loudly coloured packaging!

I'd probably recommend this for those with normal or dry skin - it just doesn't sit well with my oily / combination skin. I find scented foundations tend to break me out too, which isn't nice! You can purchase Rimmel’s Wake Me Up foundation in Boots here for €10.99 or in Superdrug here for £8.99. All Rimmel products are also on a 3 for 2 in Boots at the minute and buy one get one half price in Superdrug, if that tickles your fancy!

What are your thoughts on the  Rimmel Wake Me Up foundation? Love or loathe? Also, let me know what your favourite high street foundations are - I'm always looking to try something new! xo

You Might Also Like

Medium @ciarapocket

Bloglovin'

Follow