BOOKS: The Fault In Our Stars by John Green

09:35



Reading has always been a huge part of my life, be it literature, magazines, blogs, etc. and I thought, by means of keeping this blog personal to me, I'd start talking more about books I've read, etc., and y'know, broaden this blog's horizons a bit! I know that obviously, not all that love beauty love books and vice versa, but hopefully there's some of you out there who love both (like me!) and will enjoy this series. Variety being the spice of life and all that!

So I thought I'd start with one of my all-time favourites: The Fault In Our Stars by John Green. If you're an avid Tumblr user, you'll probably be familiar with quotes from John Green's novels, or even gifs and photosets from the upcoming TFIOS movie (which I'm incredibly excited about). 

The Fault in Our Stars follows the story of a sixteen year old girl, Hazel Lancaster, who was diagnosed with lung cancer when she was thirteen.  At the start of the book, her mood is incredibly low, and her doctors and her mom convince her to join a cancer support group for teenagers, like herself. This is where she meets Augustus Waters, a seventeen year old boy, who previously suffered from osteosarcoma - which is cancer of the bones. Hazel's quite the cynical character in contrast to Augustus' optimistic and cheery one.

The story that ensues is beautifully and wonderfully written, through Hazel's perspective. Jodi Picoult, author of My Sister's Keeper among others, wonderfully describes the book as "electric... filled with staccato bursts of humour and tragedy". Markus Zusak, bestselling author of The Book Thief, and also a Printz Honor-winner, says it's "a novel of life and death and the people caught in between, The Fault In Our Stars is John Green at his best. You laugh, you cry, and then you come back for more."

Here's what the blurb says:
"Despite the tumour-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel, has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten."

Now, a lot of people, when they hear of TFIOS, immediately go, "oh, that's a really sad book, isn't it?" Often people ask why I'd read such a sad book so many times, but let me tell you: it's so much more than that. Yes, there are sad moments, but it can also be joyous, and witty - it's really an emotional rollercoaster.

Personally, I love it. John Green's definitely one of my favourite young adult fiction writers, and TFIOS is definitely one of his best works. It's incredible, how the reader can get inside of Hazel's head - who is quite the deep thinker - and almost feel everything she feels throughout the story. I can't say enough good words about this book - if it sounds like something you'd like to read, or if you're just simply curious, go read it! You won't be disappointed. Plus, if you hurry, you can be one of those I-read-the-book-before-the-movie cool kids ;).

Have you read TFIOS? Got any books to recommend?

Follow on Bloglovin

You Might Also Like

Medium @ciarapocket

Bloglovin'

Follow