The Ultimate High Street Make Up Kit

09:00



It has to be said, we are incredibly lucky to live in a world where we have access to large high street chains like Boots, that are jam packed with dozens of beauty brands, and hundreds of cosmetic products – there’s no question about it, we have an incredible choice on the high street. However, for those who are starting out and are new to makeup, younger girls with smaller budgets but an interest in buying good cosmetics, it can all be a little daunting. Today’s post entails my top drugstore picks for those who are starting to build their own makeup collections, on a small budget – or even for those who love high street makeup as much as I do, and want to see what’s what!



Foundation
Base products are a very important part of any makeup look. Lots of folks would recommend splurging a little more on a good foundation, because of the immense difference it makes to a makeup routine. Sadly, we can’t all stroll into Debenhams and buy the latest gem from Chanel (as much as I’d really love to) – but don’t fret, there are many base gems among the aisles of Boots and Superdrug. My all-time favourite is the Bourjois Healthy Mix foundation (€13.99/ REVIEW). I have oily skin and do dread shininess and my makeup slipping off throughout the day, but Healthy Mix stays all day and although it adds a healthy glow to the skin, a little bit of powder can easily combat that. For those with dry skin, who also crave a radiant, dewy finish, or even a little SPF, I’d recommend the Rimmel Wake Me Up foundation (€10.99 / REVIEW)– I personally don’t use this often because it doesn’t like my oily skin, but I know many who suffer from dry skin and love this foundation!



Concealer
Another important and useful base product, and fortunately, there’s many good concealers on the high street. I’d recommend everyone’s favourite Collection Lasting Perfection concealer (€6.49), which has a slightly thick consistency and works great on covering up blemishes. I personally love the Rimmel Wake Me Up concealer (€6.99 / REVIEW), because it hides blemishes and dreaded dark under eye circles. However, the Collection offering in its lightest shade makes for a great little highlighter on those dark inner eye corners!



Powder
There’s really only one high street powder you need in your collection (in my eyes, anyway), and that’s the Rimmel Stay Matte powder (€5.99 / REVIEW). I’ve repurchased this countless times – it’s essential for setting your makeup into place, whilst combatting shine and making your makeup last longer. (I know it looks very disheveled above, I typically dropped it over the weekend *CRIES*).




Contouring
Having to buy separate bronzers, highlighters and blushers on a small budget can be quite the pain – but thankfully, it’s completely unnecessary, because Sleek have the answer to your problems with their fab Face Form Contouring Kits (€12.99 / REVIEW). They’re available in four different shades to suit every skin tone. For such a reasonable price, you get a warm, matte bronzer, a gorgeous highlighter and a pretty powder blush! I wear Rose Gold from the Light palette every day, and it suits so many different makeup looks. Perfect!




Eyeshadows
I’ll be honest and say I’m not really one for buying and trying loads of high street eyeshadows, but I’d safely say the Maybelline 24HR Color Tattoos (€10.49 on the Boots site but I think they're actually cheaper than that instore / REVIEW) are all you really need! There’s a gorgeous variety of shades and my personal favourite is On and On Bronze, a beautiful cool bronze shade that looks perfect swept lightly over the lid, or built up for a more intense look. The quality and pigmentation of these little pots are just wonderful, and with such a selection of shades, there’s bound to be something for everyone.



Eyeliner
There are so many different types of eyeliner available, so I thought I’d show you a few different ones, so there’s something for everyone. If you’re a bit of a master when it comes to eyeliner and flicks, then I’d definitely recommend the little pot of goodness that is Maybelline’s Eye Studio Lasting Drama Gel Eyeliner (€11.99 / REVIEW) (which was MIA at the time of photo-taking!). It has uh-mazing staying power, and comes with a little brush too, which is always handy! I’m relatively late to the liquid liner party, but I have been using the Seventeen High Drama Intense Liquid Eyeliner (€5.09) recently, and I’m loving it so far – plus, it’s only a fiver! And when it comes to pencil liners, the RimmelScandaleyes Waterproof Kohl Kajal Liners (€5.49 / REVIEW) are unbeatable. Great pigmentation, serious staying power, and cheap as chips. What more could you ask for?



Mascara
Mascara’s a bit of a tricky one, because everyone has different tastes and they work differently on different people, but I’ll share my picks anyway: Rimmel Scandaleyes Retro Glam’s a goodie (€8.65 / REVIEW), it’s got a groovy hourglass wand and really adds length and definition to the lashes, plus it’s pretty cheap; I love Soap & Glory’s mascaras, particularly the Thick and Fast Super Volume and Thick and Fast High Definition Collagen Coat (€13.50 / REVIEW) ones, although they’re a tad dearer. They give insane length, volume and definition – thus ticking all my boxes!



Brows
I have two high street brow loves – one’s a little dearer than the other, only a tad though. I’ve used the Rimmel Brow Professional pencil for ages, and it’s superb and less than a fiver; for €6.69 there’s the MaxFactor Eyebrow pencil which is my latest love, and does a fab job. They’re what I’ve tried thus far, and they’re super-duper!



Lips
I have a lorra lorra lip loves when it comes to the high street, so very quickly, here are my favourites: if you like matte lips, go for the Revlon Colorburst Matte Balms (€10.99 / REVIEW); for glossy lips and intense staying power, try the Rimmel Apocalips Lip Lacquers (€7.95 / REVIEW). Lipstick wise, the Rimmel Lasting Finish lipsticks (€6.65 / REVIEW) are great, as are the Kate Moss ones too; for something a little cheaper, but still amazing, check out the Seventeen Stay Pout lipstick range (€5.65 / REVIEW). For something a little pricier, the L’Oreal Infallible Lip Lacquers (€14.99 / REVIEW) are wonderful, with kick-ass staying power. I’m not a huge fan of glosses – what I’ve tried aren’t amazing so I’ll not give any recommendations on those, because there’s no point really!



Brushes
Of course, we can't forget the tools. If you’re a makeup newbie, then get your hands on the Real Techniques Core Collection (€28.99 / REVIEW). It might seem a little pricey, but they’re absolutely wonderful (plus you can always get them a little cheaper on Amazon!). They’ll last for years, if looked after properly, and they’re all pretty multi-purpose. If you’re really interested in eye makeup, their Starter Kit (€28.99 / REVIEW) is also well worth the investment.



Nails
Finally, nails – Barry M are pretty much the champions of high street, budget-friendly nail polish. Their polishes are almost always fantastic and there’s an incredible selection of colours, finishes and textures, all for around a fiver!

And there you have it - my ultimate high street picks. Phew, that was a long 'un! If you've made it to the end of this post, then gold star for you.  I hope you all enjoyed reading this post and have been furiously scribbling wishlists of your own as you scrolled! ;) There's certainly something for everyone on the high street, for all kinds of budgets, so hopefully this post will help you find some new favourites.

What are your favourite high street products?

Ciara xo

Follow on Bloglovin

You Might Also Like

Medium @ciarapocket

Bloglovin'

Follow