Why Do You Blog?

10:54


BLOGGING. WHY?

I chose to blog because I love to write. Simple as. As much as I tend to question myself, I'm pretty sure I'm a natural-born writer. I don't mean that in a boastful way, I mean that I truly love writing and can do little else. I've been writing since I was a little kid - from cutesy, unrealistic stories in primary school to long winded essays on debate topics and poetry at second level. I've always kept a diary too, because in ways, it keeps me sane - there's nothing that calms me more than a long winded rant; letting words escape and burst in a rapid, scribbled flurry onto the pages of a journal.

When I started my blog, I was on a bit of a beauty hype. Months earlier, I'd only just discovered the 'blogosphere' - through hours spent watching Zoella videos, of course. Naturally, I wanted in on the action. Don't get me wrong - I still love cosmetics, and I feel that right now, beauty writing is and will be the core of my blog. But at the same time, I'm a big believer in the sentiment that it's your blog, and you can write about whatever you please. Stats, follower counts and everything else shouldn't be what your blog's all about. It's about the content you create, and the enjoyment you get out of said creative process.

Which brings me on to another reason why I blog: it's the pure enjoyment I get from it all. Sure, it's a lot of hard work - especially if you publish content every day, but overall it's fun. I like putting posts together, taking photos, drafting new ideas, constantly scribbling and ticking off lists, only to see it all fall into place. It keeps me busy. It's something enjoyable to take my mind off things. I love reading comments from people who've taken time to read my work - it makes the whole thing feel that bit more worthwhile.

I also feel like I'm learning things from blogging. I mean, for one, there's the incredibly vast and innovative world that surrounds blogging today. There's so much more to it than writing a post, and hitting Publish every so often - although for many, that's just enough. I love reading about my favourite bloggers and getting to know them through their blogs, as well as reading about their incredible achievements and experiences (and longing to document my own on my own site in future). I find the whole business side quite fascinating, and love learning about how it all works (although I doubt I could ever do it myself). What's more is that I'm improving my writing with every post I publish (or so I hope!), because the best way to improve one's writing skills is obviously, to write. I'm learning photography skills and things I'd never have dreamed of doing before, because I wouldn't have had the opportunity. I'm constantly striving to improve, pushing the limitations of my own creativity, to get better and do better all the time.

Blogging has been such a positive thing in my life. I'll admit that throughout the beginning, I struggled a lot with comparing myself to others and coming up with content to match, but I think I've reached a point where I'm okay with what I'm doing. I'm happy just bobbing along, and writing as I go - enjoying it all. I love that I can learn, perfect and improve different skills, simply by indulging in my favourite hobby. It's wonderful to think that these are skills I'll use for the rest of my creative life, and hopefully throughout my future career. I'm glad I clicked onto whoever's site a few years ago, and discovered this whole new online world - it's brought me nothing but joy ever since.

Why do you blog? If you don't, why not? I'd love to hear your blogging stories in the comments!

Ciara x


Follow on Bloglovin

You Might Also Like

Medium @ciarapocket

Bloglovin'

Follow