A Tribute To My Favourite Season

20:58



Here in Ireland, we make a lot of jokes about our summer, or the lack thereof. There are countless internet memes about how changeable and annoying our weather can be (“Ah summer, my favourite week of the year!”). But when it happens, it truly is the most glorious time of the year.
Summer is, without a single doubt, my favourite time of the year. There is nothing I love more than finally feeling those first few warm rays against my skin, noticing the daylight hours getting longer and longer with each passing day, and triumphantly throwing my thick winter jumpers in the back of my wardrobe. At last.

I love the feel of the heat against my skin, whether it’s a soft, warm breeze or full-on blistering heat. I love those cool breezes that trickle gently through the trees, tug at stray strands of my hair and weave in and out between my bare toes.


I love that I seldom see true darkness (except for when I'm out all night, obviously!). What I mean is, I’m the kind of person who can be greatly affected by the weather, and the constant darkness and misery of the winter months is a terrible dampener on my mood. But in the summer, on those nights when I crawl into bed after eleven p.m., I love that the sun is still ever-so-slightly up, painting my bedroom in a soft, navy glow. And when I rise in the morning (or early afternoon, ahem), it’s always there to greet me.

I love dressing for the summer – I love donning a loose fitting crop top and a pair of high waisted shorts, slipping my feet ever-so-quickly into a pair of sandals and there – done. There’s no faffing about with layers and matching different items and worrying about being too hot or too cold, or possibly getting wet from those temperamental and random rain showers.

As silly as it sounds, I love how cool sunglasses look, even if I keep them pushed up on my head to keep my hair from falling in my eyes. I love wearing floaty, bohemian-esque clothes that you normally wouldn’t get away with at any other time of year – printed kimonos and lace everything. When the sun’s out, the world becomes your music festival.


I love loading up my iPod with dozens of happy, chilled out songs – everything from bubbly, shiny pop to loud guitars and epic, singalong choruses. Summer is the one time you can truly embrace blaring Island In The Sun from some crappy speakers, and it will always sound amazing. It’s a time for Two Door Cinema Club and The 1975, a time for soppy rock love songs, for three minute gusts of pop punk, and a mixture of mellow indie beats.

I love the late evening sunsets the most – the way that, despite having almost identical weather every day, they always seem to be different. I love seeing the sky gradually light up with a multitude of beautiful colours – soft pinks, sharp corals, so many different blues and greys reflecting off the once-white fluffy clouds. I love that they seem to go on forever, narrowing with each passing minute until the sun is but a glowing orange blip on the horizon.


So – shall I compare thee to a summer’s day? No, because there truly is no comparison.

Ciara x


Follow on Bloglovin

You Might Also Like

Medium @ciarapocket

Bloglovin'

Follow