Going For It In 2016

20:44

Image Source: Buzzfeed 

This is by no means another 'new years resolutions' post - I'm just as sick of them as everyone else, and I dislike the idea of those damn resolutions anyway. But I was sitting around feeling awfully sorry for myself last night, as I thought about how fricking cool everyone else's lives seem to be, and how I've got no plans or ambitions or anything for 2016. Heck, I almost came on here to whinge about feeling left behind.

I'm by no means the richest girl in the world, nor am I overly resourceful. I throw more pity parties than actual parties. Watching my friends move on with their lives and accomplish wonderful and excellent things both fills me with immense joy and crippling sadness. I'm one of those friends who's always like, 'yassss girl u go for it, u do that thing!' but I'm the last person to encourage myself to do anything. I'm a serial self-pity-party-thrower, through and through, and I hate it. But no more. 

So here are my new guidelines to live by in 2016, any or all of which you are all more than welcome to embrace this year too. We got this, okay? We're gonna do this. Or at least we'll damn well try.

  • Fucking go for it. Whatever it is. Don't let your limits hold you back either. Utilise them. Make it work. Go. For. It.
  • Broaden your mind. Read more. Listen more. There's so much more to learn. Bookmark the articles you love, take note of the writers you enjoy. Listen to more damn music, old and new and unheard of. There's so much out there to digest. Get exploring.
  • Stop buying goddamn makeup. I'm actually putting myself on a makeup ban for the foreseeable future, unless it's necessary things like concealer, and powder and foundation - the things you go through a lot. Other than that, NO MORE. Save the money and see where it will take you - last year mine took me to Paris.
  • Feel the fear and do it anyway.
  • Put yourself out there. Promote frequently and shamelessly. What's the point in writing if there's no one there to read it?
  • There are over seven billion people on this planet, and it'd be a shame to leave it without meeting a few more.
  • Work, work, work. Never stop writing - no matter how crap you think it might be.
  • Tidy your goddamn room a little more. Don't hoard. Donate. Eliminate all the material crap from your life. Things don't last forever. Invest in the best stuff.
  • Invest in the best people too. Bin the others.
  • DREAM BIG. WRITE IT ANYWAY.
  • Do more things that scare you. Publish that post that scares you half to death. Speak to that stranger. Post the damn tweet. Never be afraid to speak your mind.
  • Heed Ron Swanson's wise words: "Never half-ass two things. Whole-ass one thing." Let's not half ass 2016.
I was just going to scribble these in my journal and forget all about them forever (as usual) but I decided to publish them so I'll see them popping up on my blog or in my published post as a frequent little reminder to myself. Plus by sharing them, you can all chastise me as much as you please when it comes to July and I've yet to do anything with my life.

If you've got anything to add to the list, please share! I need all the motivation I can get - I'd bet we all do.

Until next time,

Ciara x

You Might Also Like

Medium @ciarapocket

Bloglovin'

Follow