Kim K and Policing The Female Form

21:33



Our society is obsessed with the female body. We obsess over its shape, size, how its dressed or not dressed, we sexualise and fetishise and criticise. And we continuously police it, too – whether it's ignorant Twitter users calling celebrities out on what they wear, or our governments refusing to give us full control and access to medical treatments.

What frustrates me most is that in 2016, a lot of people are yet to realise that someone else’s body isn’t actually any of their business.

Regardless of what you think of Kim and her family, no one has the right to tell a woman what she can and can’t do with her own body. This goes for everything from nude photos to abortions.

And yes I realise women are so much more than just their bodies. WE ARE. But this is a consistently reoccurring problem where we think we can police bodies that are not our own and control them and tell them what to do.

Women ARE more than their bodies, but isn’t it sad that we don’t even have full control of those either?

When Kim Kardashian's sex tape was leaked without her permission, the world was fine with it. But when she posts nude photos of her own will, that's wrong? Isn't it disgusting how women can be continuously sexualised in popular media, and when it’s not of their own doing but that of the audience, it’s fine – but as soon as a woman chooses to sexualise herself, she’s a whore? It's fucked up.

You absolutely cannot call yourself a feminist if you still use the words ‘slut’ and ‘whore’ against other women. You’re not a feminist. You’re part of the problem.

As a side note: yes, it continuously disgusts me that people use those words on someone like Kim Kardashian because of a sex tape that leaked thirteen years ago. Thirteen. God forbid a woman should have sex, right? The fact that that tape was published and distributed against her will, with the intent to crush her – the fact that she picked herself back up and went on to establish one of the biggest celebrity brands ever, to make millions of dollars from being herself, to create one of the most enviable lifestyle empires in existence, is fucking awesome.

As she wrote herself in a statement released on her app, “I am empowered by my body. I am empowered by my sexuality. I am empowered by feeling comfortable in my skin. I am empowered by showing the world my flaws and not being afraid of what anyone is going to say about me.

“I will not live my life dictated by the issues you have with my sexuality. You be you and let me be me. I am a mother. I am a wife, a sister, a daughter, an entrepreneur, and I am allowed to be sexy.”

The bottom line is: stop telling women what they can and can’t do with their own bodies. Your body is your business, just like their bodies are theirs. Just like Kim’s body is hers, and if she chooses to post nude pictures. So be it. 


Let’s free the female form. Here’s to self-expression in whatever form you choose, and in as many or as little clothes as you like. Sexuality is nothing to be ashamed of.

You Might Also Like

Medium @ciarapocket

Bloglovin'

Follow